Nuffnang Leaderboard

Looking For An Artist?

Popular Posts This Week

Friday, February 12, 2016

Grammys 2016: Kendrick Lamar Should Win Album of the Year


I know the Grammy Album of the Year will still be announced on Monday, but I already have two albums on my list that should figure prominently in the nominations for the Grammy's of 2017 - Adele's 25 and Justin Bieber's Purpose.
We all know that the music academy loves Adele but Justin Bieber will know if his fellow musicians really love him as well, if they bestow him a well-deserved Album of the Year nomination.
But that will have to wait till December this year.
The nominated albums this year are quite an eclectic bunch and I'm not surprised that Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp A Butterfly was there.
When it was released March of last year, I immediately bought the album, because I was really bowled over by his last album Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City.
Disappointingly though, I did not take too well with the new album. There are no clear 'singles' from this album and I found it too artsy.
The jazz influence was very strong and we all know very well that jazz is an acquired taste and you'd really have to have sophisticated ears to listen to it.
If you come from a bakya pop background like me, combining jazz and rap is not an easy palate of music to listen to.
However, I admire the great ambition Kendrick gave in album. He certainly achieved something that is sonically different from what he had done before as he included as many different beats and sounds in it.
Even the way Kendrick raps differs from track to track, depending on the way he wants to deliver his message.
Anyhow, I won't be surprised if Kendrick goes home with the award. It's about time that the academy honors someone from the rap world because they have snubbed the best works of Kanye West and Eminem - and that's fine with me - since I find these guys egotistical SOBs. That maybe the reason ninominate lang sila but the award was not given to them.
Kendrick though is very low key and seems humble to me. Maybe finally, the academy would vote a rapper this time for their highest award.
However, just like Beyonce last year, the spoiler for the award also has strong academy backing.
I'm sure the whole country membership of the academy would vote for Chris Stapleton's Traveller.
So you never really know till the winner is announced.

No comments:

Post a Comment