Nuffnang Leaderboard

Looking For An Artist?

Popular Posts This Week

Monday, December 30, 2019

JK Labajo's 'Buwan' Revs Up My Year-End OPM Top 10







I embraced new music and new artists in my OPM chart in 2019. Only Kyla, Tim Pavino and Shanti Dope have had hits in my OPM countdown prior to 2019.

Juan Karlos Labajo's 'Buwan' was a slow burn for me.  I did not initially like the song since it was arranged in a rock manner, but as I played it again and again in my phone, I realized how interesting the song was, lyrically and in the way it was arranged.  If JK continues to write songs like these, he is going to be a major OPM talent - and an authentic one at that - since he can compose his own songs - and have total creative control!

OC Dawg's 'Pauwi na Ako' was a Zumba favorite for me and it ends the year at #2 in my yearend OPM countdown.  It's a cute song and I totally understand why young people dig it!  This song shows how rap can easily be created using Filipino.  Mas grabe ang diin if an OPM song is sung in Tagalog.

Maris Racal's 'Love is Easy' is a beautiful ballad arranged in a sweet manner that puts Racal's voice and charm front and center.  I love her voice here!  I haven't heard her do this live though.  She hasn't really done any live shows in the local club circuit.  Her song ends at #3 in my year-end OPM countdown.

I felt very privileged to have seen Tim Pavino perform "Ulap" live during the OPM Playlist Festival in BGC.  He released an album during this period and it has many other interesting songs.  'Ulap' ends at #4 in my year-end OPM Top 10 countdown.

Maymay Entrata's 'Kakayanin Kaya' ends at #5 in my year-end top 10 in 2019. I love how she sings this ballad.  She has a very expressive voice although I do not know if she can pull this off live.  

Here are my ten favorite OPM songs for the year 2019 -

#1 Buwan
      Huwag

#2 Pauwi Na Ako
      OC Dawg

#3 Love is Easy
      Maris Racal

#4 Ulap
       Tim Pavino

#5 Kakayanin Kaya
      Maymay Entrata

#6 Amatz
      Shanti Dope

#7 Sana
      I Belong to the Zoo

#8 Huling Muli
      Kyla

#9 Intergalactic Gugma
      Tony Alfonso / Kaye Dinauto

#10 Dahil Mahal Kita
        Chocolate Factory


No comments:

Post a Comment