Nuffnang Leaderboard

Looking For An Artist?

Popular Posts This Week

Monday, May 8, 2017

Supporting Young Talented Classical Musicians


I cannot play an instrument to save my life - and that has been one of my life's biggest tragedies.
And it's not for the lack of trying! When we were kids, Mama sent us to this excellent piano teacher, Ms. Loyola, but to no avail.
When I became an adult, I did take keyboard and guitar lessons but my only claim to fame is playing Fergie's "Big Girls Don't Cry".
In other words, I have no musical talent. I could hear the notes when I sing, but when I play the instrument, I am totally lost!
And that quietly pisses me off up to now.
I could easily write an essay on the Syrian conflict and its implications on the refugee crisis in Europe - but I couldn't play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star on the piano!
Life is so unfair!
Because of that setback, I am always in awe of people who can play well - so well that they can ask people to pay to watch them play!
That's why I'm such a big fan of classical concerts and musicians because of the discipline they have to have just to play at such a high level!
One wrong note and tataas ang kilay ng audience mo! It's an unforgiving craft!
So anyhow, the guy beside me is Bryan, he's the son of my former teacher, Evelyn Ariza Cimafranca, the proud mom, and he was part of the violin section of the PPO last night.
I loved the part when the violinists used their hands to pluck on the instrument. I know how fragile the violin is and to pluck it to achieve that sound, composer Arturo Marquez wanted, could have easily broken a string.
It was great that he was there because last night's repertoire was something I truly enjoyed and loved to hear live!

No comments:

Post a Comment