Nuffnang Leaderboard

Looking For An Artist?

Popular Posts This Week

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

90s Retro Rock with Sugar Ray, Gin Blossoms and Smash Mouth

I admit I was a bit disappointed with the show tonight considering the amount of cachet these three bands had over its fans who were either in high school or college when Sugar Ray, Gin Blossoms and Smash Mouth were at the peaks of their popularity. These three bands had several top ten hits each in the US Billboard charts so they were certified hitmakers. I don't know if it was the sound system tonight but I felt that something was lacking in their performances.

The band I was most looking forward to perform since they had the most fun songs, Smash Mouth, had a lacklustre performance brought about mainly by the fact that their lead singer couldn't sing the high notes of most of their songs. Also, I think he couldn't hear himself since he was certainly singing some songs off key or at least one octave lower. I am not Lea Salonga and I couldn't identify a note just by singing one, but after watching so many concerts, I think I can hear if a singer is just winging it, lipsynching or just out of tune! Well, not all of it was bad but there were several songs that were sung badly.

Sugar Ray, in my opinion, performed best last night, thanks to the witty humor and charm of Mark McGrath. I really enjoyed their set, which was very short, since Mark really knew how to hold an audience. He seemed very comfortable talking and sharing things about the songs he was about to sing. He even talked about the story behind their hit When It's Over. He said he saw his girlfriend with his best friend one night which led to that song! The song has a catchy happy melody but the story behind it is just so freakin' heartbreaking!

The Gin Blossom came onboard at around 12:15AM and you can really see that the audience may have waited long enough!! Anyhow, I still tried my best to enjoy their set, and they performed well enough to keep the remaining audience entertained. Anyhow, this was their second time here and this time, they sung mainly their hits!

No comments:

Post a Comment