Nuffnang Leaderboard

Looking For An Artist?

Popular Posts This Week

Monday, January 11, 2016

David Bowie: It's Alright to Look Weird


Growing up as a gay teenager was made more easy because of very creative artists like Boy George, Madonna, Kiss, Cyndi Lauper and Freddie Mercury who combined their music with their outlandish expressions through fashion and how they look.
So it is with sadness that I've learned today that another influential musician to the gay community, David Bowie, died today. Aside from doing really good music, like Freddie Mercury, he challenged the male rocker stereotype by going the androgynous route.
At least, when I was a young 13-year old teenager trying to find myself, artists like him (and Prince as well) made me feel that although I was male, that I was not entirely masculine. So seeing heterosexual male artists do the androgynous look made me feel that it was ok to be ambiguous, at least, with your outward persona.
RIP David Bowie. Thank you for the music!

No comments:

Post a Comment