Nuffnang Leaderboard

Looking For An Artist?

Popular Posts This Week

Thursday, January 28, 2016

Grieving Over Our Fathers - Sting and I




We all cope with death in the family our own way.

Music has been such a big part of my own healing process.

Papa died in 1989 and in 1991, Sting released this album, The Soul Cages, and all at once, I was hooked by the imagery that Sting created in this album.

All throughout the album, you'd hear references about a "father", something which I thought Sting created as a character.

I only learned later on that, in fact, he dedicated this album to his father, who just recently died at that time.

I've always associated this album with Papa and in a way, allowed me to vicariously grieve for Papa's death through the poetry and music of Sting, since I have no such skill.

It made his passing away so suddenly and at such a young age more bearable for me.

I still love listening to this album, just to remind me of Papa.

That's why Sting is so special to me as an artist. He created this album just about the time that I was also grieving over the loss of Papa.

"One day he dreamed of the ship in the world
It would carry his father and he
To a place they would never be found
To a place far away from this town"

No comments:

Post a Comment