Nuffnang Leaderboard

Looking For An Artist?

Popular Posts This Week

Friday, December 9, 2011

Concert Review: Richard Marx's Beautiful Acoustic Concert in Manila








I am not really into acoustic type concerts since I'm more of a full production type of guy with a band and lights and all that shebang so I admit I was caught offguard when Richard Marx started off his concert tonight with an acoustic arrangement of Endless Summer Nights, Take My Heart and Satisfied - three songs which would've sounded fantastic in full regalia.  However, as the concert wore on, I began to appreciate the beauty of the very laidback arrangement of his songs - and it helped a lot that Richard's voice is still topnotch like it was more than 20 years ago!

Like David Foster, Richard loves to tell stories to each of his songs making the show more intimate and giving each song a sort of life.  I have several favorite moments of the show.  I guess my most favorite one was when he sang Best of Me - yes, that song made famous by David Foster!  He wrote it when he was only 18 years old!  Mon Dieu!  Such poetic abilities at such a young age! And he sang it so sparingly, just using his voice and very spare piano playing - it was so moving to listen to it - and the audience responded just as warmly.

Another favorite moment of mine was when he did snippets of Bon Jovi, Police and yes, Lady Gaga, and then proceeded to do Hold On to the Nights, and then segues it smoothly to Now and Forever, which really got the crowd cheering. This was all done acoustically and you can really hear how the audience just lapped it up! 

I also love his new songs for his father - Through My Veins - (who was also a musician and a conductor at that!) and his three young sons - Save Me - who are now between 17 to 21 years old - which he said would be the first song released in his new album next year - and yeah, he had stories about them too!

Well, he actually sang all his hits - from Don't Mean Nothin', Should've Known Better, Endless Summer Nights, Angelia - and yes, that song so identified with him, Right Here Waiting.  Unfortunately, he did not sing Dance With My Father - for what reason I don't know why - but I learned tonight that Keep Coming Back was co-composed with Luther Vandross - that's why the song sounds so smooth and groovy.  He also told the story behind his hit 'Hazard' and he almost threw the song away, if not for his wife's seal of approval!

Yes, he did sing N Sync's This I Promise You and he had told a story about it where one of the band's fans told him that her mother loved him!  And he didn't find it funny!

It was a full show which took about 2 hours since Richard was so makwento.  This concert would've been perfect for Valentine's too.

No comments:

Post a Comment