Nuffnang Leaderboard

Looking For An Artist?

Popular Posts This Week

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Vertical Horizon Gave Everything We Wanted







There are pros and cons to holding a rock concert in an intimate venue like the Newport Performing Arts Theatre which kind of affected how I enjoyed their show last night.

Not to take anything away from Vertical Horizon, the band was as solid-sounding as ever and they were in full form last night - and I loved their playlist as well - a mix of the old and the new songs.

However, since the seats in the theater were pretty comfy, and I was a bit tired, the rock show could easily turn into a hotel lounge show!! And I think it did, as Sam, the lead singer churned out story after story after each song, to keep everyone entertained and to be in tune with the intimacy of the venue.

One bad thing though is I couldn't sing out loud even if I wanted to. It's ok to be out of tune singing in a big venue like the Araneta or MOA Arena. Try doing it in an enclosed theatre like Newport - and you'd hesitate if you think you're off key. Dinig na dinig e! And dyahe sa katabi hahaha

Anyway, mushy is as Filipinos are, it's not surprising to hear everyone singing to Best I Ever Had! Their other hits were well-received as well like Everything You Want and Send it Up. 

As for me, I particularly like their new album, Echoes from the Underground, and they sang some songs from it like A Song for Someone, Broken Over You, Lovestruck and Instamatic. They all sounded good live which is kudos to the band!

The place was full since Newport naman is not so big so there were enough kids who grew up in the early 2000's to remember the band 14 years later. It was also a pretty well-dressed crowd!! I was expecting guys in rock shirts but I guess everyone has grown up and gotten themselves a job!

No comments:

Post a Comment