Nuffnang Leaderboard

Looking For An Artist?

Popular Posts This Week

Sunday, December 30, 2012

My Ten Favorite Songs of 2012: #2 Psy - Gangnam Style




2012 is one of the rare years where my year-end list exactly matches most of the major music publications including the revered Billboard magazine.  I guess my nose was just at the right time and at the right place when these megahits came out of the woodwork.

I know many of you are already sick of Psy's Gangnam Style.  I know I am but I still remember when I first heard of the song.  It was actually in Nelly Furtado's concert here in Manila - and I remember that only a few in the audience actually knew the song!  I too wasn't too familiar with it, at that time.

The song, at that time, was still a hit only in Korea (I think it was on its fourth week at #1), and I remember, there were "only" 50 million hits in Youtube.  And I remembered, OMG, that's huge, because this is not a song in English, and South Korea's population is well, only around 50 million too!  So for it to achieve that many hits, is impressive.

Of course, six months later, it became the first song to breach 1 billion views!!  Impressive!

Like billions around the world, the first time I saw the video, I just couldn't resist it.  It was funny, and the horse steps were just perfect for the song!  And to think, at that time too, I just opened my countdown to Korean songs, so in a way, I was still a "baby" observer of Korean music.  But this song, just made me embrace Korean music more.  Towards the end of 2012, it was not unusual to have six Korean songs in my weekly Top 40 countdown!!  In any given year, 40 English songs would've been the norm.  Not in 2012.

The song ends as my #2 favorite song of 2012.  It's pure pop after all!   
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment