Nuffnang Leaderboard

Looking For An Artist?

Popular Posts This Week

Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Sweet Energy of Gary Valenciano

 
“Teach me to trust in you with all of my heart, to lean not on my own understanding, cause I just forget, you won’t give me what I can’t bear, take me out of the dark, my lord, I don’t want to be there, ooh, ooh my lord.”  Such was the sweet and inspirational lines that served as a “lullaby song” for me during one night of the 80s.  I was alone in the darkness of my room, and as if, a certain electrical powers run through my veins as I was virtually touched by the message of the song.  I didn’t know the singer, but I really felt that he performed the song from the very core of his heart.  In fact , I could sense that the song, mirrored or reflected something about this man’s past life.  Because of my curiosity, I came to know that the man behind the song is no other than Gary Valenciano, Mr. Pure Energy, or Gary V. as he is fondly called.  Born on August 6,1964, to a bicolano father and to a Puerto Rican mother of Italian descent, the boy was christened Edgardo Jose Martin Santiago Valenciano.(1)  Gary’s mother used to sang opera in manila during 1960s.  It is given that Gary inherited his beautiful voice from his mother.  He attended his primary and secondary schooling at the La Salle Greenhills.  That is why he can be seen sometimes at the gallery of “Animo La Salle” fans during the UAAP basketball games.  The fact that music and singing are very much in his veins and blood, and coupled with gifts of dancing and energy, Gary V, made his debut in the music industry and later, as an actor.  Early on in his career, lady luck already smiled on him by reaping accolades, recognition, and praises not only from the music industry, but also from the movie industry.  Without doubt, Teenagers, young adults, and even the “oldies” idolize Gary’s voice and his signature movements and dance.  The songs, ‘eto na naman (here comes again), ‘di bale na lang (just don’t give a piece of mind),’ were welcomed with so much enthusiasm and fervor.  Imagine Gary V. singing the tunes together with ala Michael Jackson moves, surely, the viewers cannot but be struck in awe and amazements.  I once saw unbelievable energy when he performed at the SM North Edsa, sometime in the 80s.  I was really petrified by his dazzling moves and indefatigable energy.  We have many singers cum dancers here in the Philippines, but, no one magnetize me so much to his mini or major concerts than, Mr. Pure Energy.  He is really enjoyable and inspiring to behold once he performs in any show.  The audience don’t get tired of watching him because they, too, are electrified by his energy.  However, in all of those seemingly “superman” activities of Mr. Gary V, we can also hear some sad, dramatic events, and trials that somehow just exposes the human side of Mr. Pure Energy.  In his 23 year career, one can hardly see that he has a “sweet cross” that he carries with sweetness and serenity---Gary V. is a diabetic.  When Angeli Pangilinan married him, she knew that Gary’ zest and fervor cannot be hindered by this trial.  So, she decided to manage her husband’s affairs so that she could moderate and take care of his health.  The couple even have three kids who are all energetic just like their father.  Another trial that crossed his career was the famous rivalry with Martin Nievera, his contemporary.  Martin is also well-loved by his generations, and in fact, even to the present, Martin’s style is a crowd drawer.  Actually, he is dubbed as the concert king of the Philippines.  With this kind of rivalry, where Gary V. somehow felt the “underdog,” he drifted into a false sense of insecurity.  He pitied himself.  He thought that his career would come to an end.  But God, has other plans for Gary.  He doesn’t want that Mr. Pure Energy’s talents be put into waste.  Hence, Mr. Gary V. reflected again on his composition: “teach me to trust in you with all of my heart, to lean not on my own understanding, cause I just forget you won’t give me what I can’t bear, take me out of the dark my lord, I don’t want to be there.”  Gary V. became a changed man and a singer.  He accepted other’s god-given talents and recognized his own and weaknesses.  He turned to the Lord and offer his talents for god’s greater glory.  Later, Martin and Gary V. became friends and they consolidated their friendship by staging a major concert at the Araneta Coliseum.  Dubbed as “As 1”, they really performed their hearts out to the delight and amusements of their fans.  Indeed, the warrior in Gary V’s person is a child.  A child, because he humbled himself like a little one, so as to be helped and taken out from the darkness of insecurities in life.  The sweetness of his perseverance and his ever enduring courage and energy will actually rub on to his fans and admirers.

Footnotes:
1.    WikiPilipinas
      

No comments:

Post a Comment