Nuffnang Leaderboard

Looking For An Artist?

Popular Posts This Week

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Whitney Houston's Hidden Gems from Her Treasure Chest of Songs



Like millions around the world who heard of the news earlier this week, I was also shocked and saddened by the sudden passing away of Whitney Houston.  That her death and last few days would approximate that of Michael Jackson's in terms of notoriety, mystery and tragedy, is something we all didn't expect, knowing fully well how she burst into the public scene as some sort of America's princess to the world.

Anyhow, countless people have written about that fairytale part of her life and the sordid details of her personal troubles.  I am going to write about something that I know well.  Her music.

Interestingly, I have ALL Whitney's albums!! I am not really a fan of hers like I'm a fan of Madonna. I just like her music! I kinda don't like her persona but the music and songs she does are just so good, it's impossible to ignore it.  So, even at a young age of 15, when I first bought a cassette tape of her self-titled first album, I have since decided to just buy her albums because I know they would sound good, but not really like her, the way I like Madonna or Kylie Minogue.

Anyway, I am going to feature here some of her gems - songs which you can find in her albums - which are just as beautiful as the songs her record company has released.  Songs that would've been "I Will Always Love You"'s, if only given a chart life.  I will be doing this in chronological order.

#1  For the Love of You - from Whitney





Her Whitney album had so many hits, it overshadowed some of the more classy and jazzy tunes in it like this one.  This is actually my most favorite Whitney Houston song.  I just love how the sax and her voice melt together.  I'm not sure if this is Kenny G here, but most likely it is, since 1987 was also the breakthrough year of Kenny.

#2  Love is a Contact Sport - from Whitney





I fell in love with this song first time I heard it when I was still in high school.  It just captured the vibe of R&B 80s music!  Too bad they didn't release this too.  I'm sure it would've gone Top 10.

#3 Just the Lonely Talking Again - from Whitney




It's impossible for your heart not to melt when you hear how Whitney just takes on this song.  It's subdued and she does not do any of those histrionic singing which has made her popular.  She purrs, she soothes you.  Wonderful!!  Again, the sax and her voice together is just magical!

#4 Who Do You Love - from I'm Your Baby Tonight





This is my favorite song from her I'm Your Baby Tonight album, which had two #1 songs.  This was her collaboration with Luther Vandross, who penned the song, and you can really hear his influence over the song!

#5 After We Make Love - from I'm Your Baby Tonight



I was still a virgin when I first heard this song but I remember the feeling that this was how you were supposed to experience after yeah, making love!  Whitney Houston sings it with such euphoria and joy, I was really looking forward to it!

#6 Lover For Life - from I'm Your Baby Tonight





Oohh!! another beautiful gem from I'm Your Baby Tonight. I actually love the more subdued and smooth Whitney Houston, rather than the one who was doing all that vocal gymnastics.  This is one prime example of her skill!

#7 Get It Back - from My Love is Your Love





Oh yeah!  The R&B princess can do hip hop too.  Collaborating with Missy Elliott here, she does her own version of what hip hop would sound if mixed with her R&B skills.  I love this song!!  In a way, her album My Love is Your Love celebrated this union of R&B and the urban hip hop sound.  Wise move from her record company.


#8 I Didn't Know My Own Strength - from I Look to You




Well, everyone knew already that Whitney had lost some of that magical voice of hers in this album. The most stinging indictment came from the Grammys who totally snubbed this album of hers. Even then, I still love her take on this song, even though she didn't have her previous range anymore. It also was a positive light during that dark period in her life.

#9 For the Lovers - from I Look to You

 


This song was a throwback to her 80s sound with some of today's R&B hip hop vibe. I love it!

#10 Like I Never Left (with Akon) - from I Look to You

 

Akon updates Whitney's sound in this collaboration of theirs. I like the result!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment