Nuffnang Leaderboard

Looking For An Artist?

Popular Posts This Week

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Revisiting the Genius of Gary V.



This will be a series of videos from Gary Valenciano, featuring the songs from his first album which he released way back in 1983, simply entitled 'Gary'. This is, arguably, one of the best albums ever released by a Filipino artist! I know none of the songs in the album has the social commentary prominent in the earlier work of Freddie Aguilar and Asin, or the later work from the Apo Hiking Society and Francis Magalona, but in terms of energy, vibrancy and pure pop joy - I really haven't heard any local artist rival this work up to now! Well, maybe Francis M. - but he worked mostly as a rap artist.

I was only 12 years old when Hang On became Gary's first hit single. Interestingly, I won tickets to his concert because I joined a radio station competition which asked precisely that question. I was the first caller to phone in the correct answer. That show was way back in 1986 and it was still held in the gymnasium of the Sacred Heart School for Boys in Cebu City.

Every song in this album is a gem and as most of the people who commented on this Youtube video says - none of the songs here is a throwaway - an observation I fully agree with!

No comments:

Post a Comment