Nuffnang Leaderboard

Looking For An Artist?

Popular Posts This Week

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Concert Review: Avril Lavigne's Black Star Tour Manila
























This is already Avril Lavigne's third visit here in Manila and I've seen all her shows here. The first one was in March 2005 in the Fort, and I remember walking on rocky ground just to reach her concert venue. Then September 2008, she did her second show in Araneta, and this is her third one, also in Araneta, thank God!

I was really surprised by the crowd tonight! The place was like 80% full, and considering that the Araneta was booked solid for concerts the past few days, it just shows that Avril's fanbase here is really solid! Ferds and I both agreed that she had more people here in this show than in her previous show. Whether it was because of her latest album, Goodbye Lullabye, or that it was a Valentine's treat, well, we're not quite sure.

And how was the show? Well, I liked the Best Damn Tour more maybe because I loved many songs in her Best Damn Thing album. Her latest album really departed a lot from her usual lyrics and melodies. I guess being happy in one's songs can also alienate the fans - something that recent Grammy winner, Adele should take note. Love songs about heartbreak and unrequited love are more popular than happy love songs!

I checked the videos I took of the concert and the show was pretty ok and cool! Since the concert kinda ended perfuntorily, we felt bitin, especially that she eschewed Hot (which we both loved) and Losing Grip (for me) and Keep Holding On (for Ferds). Oh well, rock stars and their strange choices for their concert setlists!

Avril did not have to sing much last night. The audience pretty much did the singing for her!! Many of her fans really knew the lyrics of her songs - and it was pretty much a sing-along concert especially with her classics, I'm With You, My Happy Ending, Complicated and even her new hit, Wish You Were Here.

She also took away the choreography and some of the dancing for her hit Girlfriend thus making the show a bit one-dimensional. There was even no stage backdrop saying "The Black Star Tour", which would've been great for after concert photo-ops. Avril really kept it minimalist this time.

Although Ferds and I came late to the show, we still decided to go to the center and we were lucky enough to squeeze into that part of the audience. Gauging from the audience that night, these kids were really here early!! Incredible!

I won't be surprised if she comes back again here. The audience reaction tonight was hard to ignore! The audience's request for her to encore was actually the loudest I've heard, ever!! At least for a Manila concert! I just hope her next album leaves Sunnyville and goes back to her darker side and moods.  I kinda miss the old Avril.

Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. some more photos of avril's concert here: http://photobychrislucas.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete