Nuffnang Leaderboard

Looking For An Artist?

Popular Posts This Week

Friday, August 17, 2012

Concert Review: Nelly Furtado Dishes Out A Surprisingly Good Show




I admit I didn't expect much from Nelly Furtado's show last night.  Aside from her work with Timbaland, we haven't heard much from her these past few years, so I was surprised that she decided to come here for a concert!  Of course I learned later on that she was releasing a new album entitled A Spirit Indestructible, from which she played three tracks last night - the title track, Big Hoops and one of my new favorite songs, Parking Lot.

What surprised me about Nelly last night was how beautiful her voice really was!  I actually thought she had a very thin voice like Paula Abdul's - but no - her voice is strong, clear, melodic and expressive.  She showed her vocal prowess last night through an almost acapella arrangement for 'Try' - and although the song did not become a hit here - when she sang it last night, the audience just clapped and cheered for her!  I did too!

I also loved her live version of her latest song, Parking Lot!  It actually sounded more cute live than on what I hear in the mp3!  Too bad I did not take a video of it!

Yes, she also sang I'm Like A Bird- which was the only song most people knew she sang - but she altered the arrangement a bit so the audience wasn't able to sing along well with her.  A Tagalog version of the chorus was also sung during the show and the lead singer of the band Gracenote, Eunice did it!  That girl has a beautiful voice - and she held her own very well with Nelly!

I loved the dance part of her show where she did an R&B montage of the hits she did with Timbaland - Promiscuous, Morning After and Give it to Me - along with No Hay Igual and some other songs which I wasn't quite familiar with.  When she did LMFAO's Party Rock Anthem, the audience was already very receptive and were dancing along with her too!

I now understand why the Grammy voters gave her the award for Best Pop Vocal Female for I'm Like A Bird.  She really has the vocal chops to deserve a Grammy!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment