Nuffnang Leaderboard

Looking For An Artist?

Popular Posts This Week

Friday, October 15, 2010

Album Review: My Five Favorite Songs From Letter Day Story's 'Sama-Sama'


I bought this group's CD on the strength of their first single, 'Sama-Sama', a vibrant rock song with a perfect college vibe.  Interestingly, I immediately was hooked with group's sound, as I was listening to their other songs in my Ipod.  Their playing is solid and their arrangements sound really professional, considering how young the group is.  Anyhow, aside from 'Sama-Sama', I am going to pick five other songs which I liked from their CD.  This is ranked according to how much I like the song.

1.  Isang Umaga - I really hope they release this as their next single.  It's a fantastic duet with Jaq Dionisio of Kissjane.  Imagine that!  Two of my favorite bands now, jamming together!  I love the buoyant beat and it's actually perfect as a wake up song in my alarm clock!  I especially like how the song builds up to the end into something like a stadium sing-along song.  The lyrics are just as appropriate too - definitely something I would've rocked to if I were much much younger - i.e. when I just started working, and that was ages ago!

2.  Kung Maibabalik - another song worthy of release, and this time, it's a duet with Yeng Constantino, who herself is a very talented singer-songwriter.  This was one of the first songs that I immediately noticed when I was first listening to the CD. It does help that this band's lead singer has a wonderfully expressive voice which blends perfectly with Yeng's.  I haven't listened closely to the lyrics, but as the title suggests, regret is written - and sung - all over it!

3.  Nababaliw - the album has some really strong ballads and this is one of them.  Great lyrics, good melody and wonderful guitar playing. 

4.  Ikaw Pa Rin - a song which hews closely to their lead single, the song reminds me of a Green Day song, when that band was still playing punk rock style.  The song also has a sing-along type of chorus, which could work well when played live.

5.  Paano - another ballad which they could release as a single, great lyrics and the arrangement feels like you're pining for something, like a love lost.

One thing I notice also in this album is the clear enunciation of the words by the lead singer.  Most lead singers just garble with the pronunciation of the lyrics of thier song, but the lead singer of this band sings very clearly, which is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment