Nuffnang Leaderboard

Looking For An Artist?

Popular Posts This Week

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Juris Acoustic Pop Album Reads Like Her Diary!

When I initially bought Juris' CD last April, on the strength of her song, "I Don't Want to Fall', I did not know that she was the former lead singer of MYMP.  That's how weak my OPM IQ was at that time. And of course, I didn't know that most of my friends identified her music as acoustic, because even if her album does have her acoustic moments, it's really a pretty pop album about a mature woman and her encounters with love and all its foibles - which might bore me if it were some run-of-the-mill singer songwriter - which Juris is definitely not!  I know it will piss MYMP fans but I think Juris just really bloomed after she left the band and became her own person - as a songwriter, as a singer, as a person who sings about what she knows, and what she has experienced in her life!  It is a beautiful album - which really surprised me!  The songs are arrranged sparingly, which matches her pretty voice perfectly!  She doesn't have Charice's powerful voice, but she has the emotions to match her songs which I think Charice has to experience yet in her very young life. 

'Di Lang Ikaw' was my instant favorite, only to learn later that it was played in a local TV show!  Yikes!  I am quite selfish with my picks of songs and I don't want to share it with everyone else, but how can I compete with a local TV show with millions of viewers?  I don't even know if those viewers actually buy real CDs and not just buy the pirated ones.  Oh well, not really my loss since she has so many beautiful songs in this CD.  She released 'Opposites Attract' a few months ago and I did support it in the MYX countdown so it reached #4, I think.

Right now, I like 'Getting Over You and 'Dear You' where she sounds like Celine Dion!  I am curious as to how her songs will evolve as she matures as a woman and as a performer.  That would be a joy to watch since Juris is so attuned to her feelings and shares it generously with her fans.  All her feelings make me reminisce at the same age she is now for that is exactly how one feels at that age - when you're not yet jaded with love and you feel each heartache like some grave loss.

In a way, she reminds me of Alanis Morrissette, who never hesitates to wear her heart on her sleeves.  You write about what you know, is what our writing teachers usually tell us first day of school.  For now, Juris lets us take a peek into her heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment