Nuffnang Leaderboard

Looking For An Artist?

Popular Posts This Week

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Mining the Sweetness of Sugarfree's Mornings and Airplanes



Ever since I opened my music world view and included OPM music into it, I have been made ten times richer by it since now I know how talented Filipino musicians are! One of those bands which exemplify this observation is Sugarfree, whom I discovered through their song 'Hangover' - whose video features Alessandra de Rossi, one of local tinseltown's most talented actresses. This Sugarfree album though has many other good songs which could be released as singles if the band chooses to gain more fans. I was hooked when I heard Hangover - I loved its lyrics - and I love how the band builds up the song to its singalong chorus!

If I were the band's marketing officer, these are the five other songs I would consider releasing as singles or downloads -

1. Walang Paalam - this would be a rather slow follow up to Hangover since it's an acoustic ballad, but I want people to know that the band does not need fireworks to show their talent. The lyrics are very sad and hopeful and the song is beautifully sung! Its strange though that it's the last song in the CD but in a way, it's a powerful way to close an album that is full of richness in lyrical content.



2. Where Do We Go - another ballad but not acoustic - reminds me of one of those 80s bands who come up with really good love songs asking questions about love and where the relationship is going.

If you want to play the song, the chords are in this link - http://www.yourchords.com/216499/Sugarfree/Where-Do-We-Go-Chords/

3. Wala - I like this song because it makes references to several 80s and 90s Filipino icons like Gabby and Shawie, Romnick and Sheryl, and Lotlot and Monching, popular love teams during my youth. I like its upbeat tempo and as usual, it's really the lyrics that pushes the song forward.

4. Form Factor - this song is a bit fast-paced but still, it has those sad break-up lyrics which is replete in this album.



5. Mamang Driver - a bouncy song directed at Manila's notorious jeepney drivers!

No comments:

Post a Comment